The derma roller does amazing things in improving the appearance and condition of the skin. Did you know that it’s a great tool not only for removing acne scars, wrinkles and fine lines on the face, but also for removing stretch marks on certain parts of the body? Stretch marks are types of body scars. They are caused by several factors such as pregnancy, significant and rapid weight gain or weight loss, hormone fluctuations, certain creams, lotions and medications that cause stretch marks, and illnesses such as Cushing’s syndrome.
What is a derma roller?
The derma roller is a handheld rolling device containing hundreds of microneedles that help in healing and renewing the skin. It is typically used on the face for removing acne scars, wrinkles and fine lines, but it is also used on other parts of the body for treating other skin problems such as stretch marks. Unlike other skin care treatment options, the derma roller is a cost-effective way of removing stretch marks and you cannot do that from the comfort of your home.
Removing stretch marks with a derma roller
1. Clean the problem area thoroughly
2. Disinfect the derma roller. Usually, the derma roller comes sterilized, which it should be when packed. Sometimes, you may get a disinfectant as you buy the derma roller at the store. Otherwise, you can use the usual disinfectant options such as 70% isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or a sterile hot water. You can even use denture tablets in disinfecting your roller.
3. Use the derma roller to roll on the skin 6 to 10 times back and forth in one direction, then lift the roller and roll to another area.
4. After rolling, it is good to apply creams and other topical solutions for stretch marks. Collagen-based topical treatments are recommended for after-rolling application. Perhaps ingesting collagen drinks or collagen supplements can also help, although it is doubtful whether they are effective
5. Depending on the size of the needles, or on the instruction manual, a derma roller should not be used more than once a month to avoid damaging the skin too much.
How long does it take for the stretch marks to disappear?
Some derma roller users think that they can see the results already after one treatment, while others claim that they have to wait for a month or two before they can really see the difference. Factors such as the depth of stretch marks, skin type and topical treatments (like collagen, vitamins C and E, and hyaluronic acid) can affect how soon (or how long) should you see the big difference after rolling. If you use natural collagen, there’s a good chance of getting rid of stretch marks sooner than expected. A derma roller is a safe and highly effective device for treating stretch marks, given that you follow the proper instructions, disinfect the device before and after rolling, and avoiding over-rolling.